CHICKEN & SPELT SALAD WITH YOGURT-HERB DRESSING
For the dressing
- 8oz Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon each chopped dill, tarragon, chives, and cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (sea salt of Kosher)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the salad
- *2 cups cooked Spelt, chilled or at room temperature
- 1 cup left-over roasted chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1/2 cup raw asparagus, tips left whole and stalks chopped into “coins” (tough ends discarded)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel (core removed)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta, Queso Fresco, or Cotija cheese (small amount reserved for garnishing)
- 1 teaspoon high-quality extra-virgin olive oil (“Olio Nuevo” or fresh first-press olive oil is best)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sea Salt to taste (approximately 1/2 teaspoon)
- Garnish with the reserved crumbled cheese, dill, tarragon, chives, and cilantro leaves
- Combine dressing ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Check for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Add all salad ingredients to the mixing bowl and fold with a spatula or wooden spoon to combine.
- Garnish and serve.
*Cook Spelt as you would rice on the stove-top (until soft, 30-45 minutes at simmer) or in a rice-cooker/slow cooker with 1 part grain to 3 parts water. 1 cup of uncooked grain will yield 2 cups of cooked.