CRISPY BATTER FRIED COD
- 3 c flour
- 3/4 c cornstarch
- 1 t baking soda
- 3 T salt*
- 12 oz. sparkling water (or light beer)
- 1 lb Ling Cod (or any mild white fish like Halibut or Black Cod)
- 3 cups neutral cooking oil (canola, grape-seed, avocado)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Slowly whisk sparkling water into dry ingredients. The batter should resemble thick pancake batter.
- Keep chilled until ready to use.
To batter and fry the fish:
- Heat oil to 360° in a heavy-bottom sauce pan, dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Portion 1 pound of fish into 4-5 strips, about 3/4” thick.
- Dip portioned fish segments into the batter and roll them around with a fork to evenly coat.
- Deep fry battered fish in the 360° oil until crisp and slightly golden, approximately 1.5-2 minutes.
*This amount of salt makes the batter perceptively salty, which is good since you are not salting the fish itself. You can adjust the amount of salt to your liking, as this is not a very ingredient sensitive recipe. You can also experiment by adding other dry seasonings like cayenne, garlic powder, ginger, etc.