For the sausage
For the mushrooms
For the Topping
To serve (optional)
1. A day prior to making the mushrooms, mix all sausage ingredients and allow seasoning to “cure” the meat overnight (optional but recommended).
2. Combine the oil, balsamic, Dijon, and pepper in a bowl. Add the mushrooms and turn to coat evenly. Season the mushroom caps on both sides with the tablespoon of Kosher salt. Allow mushrooms to marinate for an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375° and mix together the topping ingredients.
4. Mound the sausage into the cavity of each mushroom cap. Generously garnish each stuffed mushroom with the seasoned breadcrumb topping.
5. Arrange mushrooms in a cast-iron pan or small cookie sheet and bake in 375° oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The sausage should read at least 145° degrees on an instant read thermometer and the breadcrumbs will be golden brown when ready.
6. Serve mushrooms warm with arugula dressed simply in lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic. Garnish with arugula and sea salt.